Looking for a fun way to spice up subtraction? This is it! It would also be a fun read aloud before a trip to the zoo. Pair it with Book Trailer #44: Gingerbread Man Loose at the Zoo.
Activity Name: Act Out Word Problems at the Zoo
Activity Description: Have students act out each word problem in front of the class. As each problem is acted out, have a class scribe record the problem. Rotate through actors and scribes.
1) Six kids are waiting in line for the zoo to open in the morning. 3 more kids join the line. How many kids are waiting for the zoo to open?
2) There are 4 hyenas singing the blues. 2 kangaroos decide to join in. How many animals are singing the blues?
3) Seven cages have been unlocked by the fox. He unlocks 1 more. How many cages has the fox unlocked?
4) The beavers make 9 bowls of chili. Two hungry monkeys eat 5 of the bowls. How many bowls of chili are left?
5) The hippos play Musical Chairs with 6 chairs. They break 4 chairs. How many chairs are left unbroken?
4N Essays Are Taking Off!
For the rest of the 2018-2019 school year, students will be writing essays about the books they recommend on our back bulletin board and their writing will be featured on our front bulletin board. Look for essays to be posted on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Celebrate with us as we grow as readers and writers.