Looking for a fun way to spice up subtraction? This is it! It would also be a fun read aloud before a trip to the zoo. Pair it with Book Trailer #44: Gingerbread Man Loose at the Zoo.
Activity Name: Act Out Word Problems at the Zoo
Activity Description: Have students act out each word problem in front of the class. As each problem is acted out, have a class scribe record the problem. Rotate through actors and scribes.
1) Six kids are waiting in line for the zoo to open in the morning. 3 more kids join the line. How many kids are waiting for the zoo to open?
2) There are 4 hyenas singing the blues. 2 kangaroos decide to join in. How many animals are singing the blues?
3) Seven cages have been unlocked by the fox. He unlocks 1 more. How many cages has the fox unlocked?
4) The beavers make 9 bowls of chili. Two hungry monkeys eat 5 of the bowls. How many bowls of chili are left?
5) The hippos play Musical Chairs with 6 chairs. They break 4 chairs. How many chairs are left unbroken?
Chalk + Ink
Chalk + Ink is a biweekly podcast that publishes on Fridays throughout the school year. Sign up for our monthly newsletter to get notified of new episodes. Download Chalk + Ink wherever you get your favorite podcasts. Feeling inspired, grateful, and generous?